First Tennessee National Corporation

Daniel V Klein dvk@lonewolf.com
Thu Jan 30 20:42:29 UTC 2003

> > I find it funny that a spammer would set up dcc, only to checksum their
> > own outgoing spam.
>
> I don't see how to rule out that idea, except that it sounds funny.

It makes perfect sense for a knowledgeable spammer to run dcc.  When I wanted
to send one of my irregular monthly newsletters, I tweaked the script that
sent the mail to defeat the DCC checksums (that is, I did what many spammers
do).  I'll leave off the details, because I know unknowledgeable spammers read
this list, and I don't want to give them any hints.  But the fact that I
use DCC made it easier - I just sent myself a few copies, and made sure the
hash counts didn't go up...

-Dan