version 1.1.20 of the DCC

Sven sven@dmv.com
Fri Jan 24 16:58:10 UTC 2003

Vernon Schryver wrote:
>> From: "Sven" <sven@dmv.com>
>
>>> Version 1.1.20 of the DCC source is in
>
>>     ... As of this morning, I noticed [from the 'top' command] that
>> the dccm was using 99% CPU utilization (luckily these are multi-proc
>> machines) and error messages were appearing in the log files ranging
>> from: milter_read(dcc): cmd read returned 0, expecting 5
>> Milter (dcc): error connecting to filter: Connection refused by
>> /var/run/dcc/dccm
>> Milter (dcc): timeout before data read
>> Milter (dcc): to error state
>
> Those messages look like parts of sendmail log messages complaining
> about a milter filter not responding.

I went ahead and kill -9 the processes and restarted (start-dccm). Within a
couple minutes same message.

> Unless a dccm thread went into an infinite loop, I would expect this
> version to use fewer CPU cycles, because HTML tags are not being
> shoved through MD5.

Which would be great! Version 1.17 dccm uses anywhere from 0.10% to 2.5% CPU
depending on the particular machine. Version 1.20 uses 95-99% .....

> Were there any system log messages from dccm?

I have dccm logging to local2 but no error messages. Only the aforementioned
error messages in maillog

> Is it possible to find a sample of a message that makes dccm very
> slow, perhaps by looking at the sendmail queue IDs that should be
> part of
> those syslog Milter complaints?

That might be possible, but keep in mind that this is happening on all 6
machines within the same time frame. I will see if I can trap one when I
revert one machine back to 1.20 again.

Sven