no valid server hostnames

jon.ingason@equant.com jon.ingason@equant.com
Fri Jan 24 06:58:01 UTC 2003

OK, I guess something went wrong installation. The content in
/var/dcc/map.txt
was a single question mark. I copied the map.txt from the source and
restarted
dcc. I ran "cdcc info" both before and after restart and the result were
the same
(only difference in time):

# 01/24/03 07:16:56 MET  /var/dcc/map
# Will re-resolve names after 01:00:00
#  0 total addresses  0 working
IPv6 off

I have no problem resolving dcc.dcc-servers.net or localhost.

Jon Ingason
Equant Sweden AB
Solna strandväg 80
Phone:             +46-8-5191 3316
Fax:                   +46-8-5191 3200
Mobile Phone:     +46-708-91 3316
http://www.equant.com

This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized
representative of an intended recipient, you are prohibited from using,
copying or distributing the information in this e-mail or its attachments.
immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies of this message and any
attachments.  Thank you.

            Vernon Schryver
            <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
            Sent by:                           To: dcc@rhyolite.com, jon.ingason@equant.com
            dcc-admin@rhyolite.com             cc:
            2003-01-23 17.36                   bcc:
                                               Subject:  Re: no valid server hostnames

> From: jon.ingason@equant.com

> I have just started dccm on one of our mail servers and are getting
> following error message repeatitly:
>
> Jan 23 16:07:56 ernie dccm[11580]: [ID 702911 local5.error] no valid
server
> hostnames
>
> Is that because I do not define SRVR_ID in /var/dcc/dcc_conf?
> I am not running dccd.

The log message says it comes from `dccm`.

It means that the DCC client code went through the list of servers
in the /var/dcc/map file and found none whose names could be resolved
into IP addresses.  Have you specified any servers?  Is your system
able to resolve or convert there names to IP addresses?

The installation scripts and make files install the names "localhost"
and "dcc.dcc-servers.net."  Can your system resolve those?

The command `cdcc info` will display the conents of the /var/dcc/map file
including IP addresses for the server host names.