Milter timeout message

Sean Rima sean@tcob1.net
Wed Jan 22 20:13:21 UTC 2003

Hi Vernon!

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> > From: Sean Rima <sean@tcob1.net>
>
> > >     Xdcc, S=unix:/var/run/dcc/dccm, F=T, T=C:30s;S:5s;R:5s;E:30s
>
> > Is there a similar method for dccproc
>
> The timeouts for sendmail waiting for a response from the local DCC
> client are a different sort of thing than the timeouts of a DCC client
> waiting for a DCC server.  Sendmail's milter timeouts to a
> (usually) local milter are fixed, and probably should be.  The DCC
> client timeouts are adaptive and depend on the average RTT to the distant
> DCC server beyond the Internet horizon.

Opps yeah, I forgot that dccm is a milter interface. I am trying to
convince the author of Exiscan for Exim to add built in dcc support
ala dccm for exim :)

> When things are working, your DCC client should not need to wait more
> than 0.5 seconds.  Only when a local PPP or other slow speed link is
> stalled by congestion or modem retraining are multi-second delays
> reasonable.  Recent versions of the DCC client code can wait several
> seconds for before giving up, assuming the previously preferred DCC
> server has died, and trying with a new IP address.  (There are currently
> 8 IP addresses for `dcc.dcc-servers.net.)  That process might make
> 5 seconds too short.
>

> >                                       as I sometimes get:
> >
> > Jan 22 18:17:08 tcob1 dccproc[29273]: no answer from
> > dcc.dcc-servers.net (203.147.165.193,6277) after 12015 ms
> > Jan 22 18:17:28 tcob1 dccproc[29308]: no answer from
> > dcc.dcc-servers.net (203.147.165.193,6277) after 12024 ms
> > Jan 22 18:17:41 tcob1 dccproc[29320]: no answer from
> > dcc.dcc-servers.net (203.147.165.193,6277) after 12011 ms
>
> If no DCC server has answered your DCC client after 12 seconds, and in
> this particular case, apparently after 3 consecutive 12 second waits,
> then waiting even longer is like to be a waste of time.
>
> Isn't this problem you see the same that you've had for a long time and
> that I've speculated is an IP routing or PPP interface configuration
> problem?

Umm, yeah, never thought of this. If after 12 seconds not much point
in adding a few more.

I am not sure what the problem is but I hazard a guess that it could
be modem retraining and possibly routing at my isp.

Sean
- --
  Fidonet: 2:263/950                       http://www.tcob1.net
  Linux User: 231986   Jabber: tcobone@jabber.org   ICQ: 679813
  THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE NOT NECESSARILY THOSE OF MY WIFE.