Compiling on Windows, and a question of policy

Paul Wright paul.wright@pobox.com
Sun Dec 1 01:36:28 UTC 2002

I am thinking of producing a plugin for James Farmer's "Spampal" tool
<http://www.spampal.org.uk/> which would query the public DCC servers,
much as dccproc currently does by default. I'd most likely do this by
compiling dccproc under Cygwin and then piping stuff to it.

Spampal runs under Windows. It is a POP3 proxy intended for personal
use: it sits between a POP3 server and a MUA and adds headers based on
its judgement of whether a message is spam.

That judgement is done by checking IP addresses in the headers against DNS
based blacklists, although various people have produced plugins which do
other sorts of checking. It is possible to filter on the entire message
body using Spampal.

So, I was hoping to produce a plugin for Spampal which would do the
equivalent of "dccproc -H -t 1" on each message, collect the output line
and compare counts to a user-specified threshold, above which messages
would be marked as spam by Spampal's usual mechanism. My question is
whether this would be a good idea.

Good points:

- Increases the number of people who are reporting to the DCC, so
  increasing its effectiveness.
- Lets Windows people use the DCC to filter.

Possible objections:

- Increases the number of people who are reporting to the DCC, so adds
  to load on public servers. Probably only matters if the plugin is wildly
  successful.
- Possible Goober With Firewall reports from people worried that some
  DCC server is trying to send them UDP packets.
- The user's ISP should really be the one doing this. (But most of them
  aren't).

Any thoughts?

--
Paul Wright | http://pobox.com/~pw201 |