DCC filling the filesystem

Fri Nov 22 04:34:10 UTC 2002

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

. ...
> I'm seeing regular complaints that dcc's filesystem is full, yet there's
> a gigabyte of space left...
>
> Nov 21 21:55:21 electra ufs: [ID 213553 kern.notice] NOTICE: realloccg /var/dcc: file system full

That looks like a message from the kernel and not from any DCC
code.  Thus, the UNIX kernel thinks the file system is full at
least some of the time.

I see these possible explanations:

   1. the kernel is confused or the file system is corrupt.
   2. when the various error messages happen, the file system is full.
      2a. big files exist when the 22 to 137 MByte DCC files are being
          shuffled around
      2b. the files are not really in /var/dcc

Have I missed anything?

#1 might be pursued by running `fsck` on the filesystem.

I don't see how #2b might happen.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to
try `cd /usr/local/dcc; df -k .`

I would investigate #2a by looking at things while dbclean is
running.  That can be done by running the /usr/local/dcc/libexec/cron-dccd
script in one X window or rlogin/ssh/whatever shell while using
`ls -la`, `df`, and `du` in another.