question about the checksum mechanism of dcc

Sun Nov 17 18:07:00 UTC 2002

> From: "Tony L. Svanstrom" <tony@svanstrom.com>

>  Vernon, if people want to use Spam Assassin to filter their mail shouldn't
> they then install SA, instead of being forced to use it because people are
> autoreporting using DCC?

I don't understand the question.

  - People using SpamAssassin to direct mail that their SA scoring
   says is spam have surely installed SA, whether they direct that
   spam to /dev/null, a mailbox, or a program such as `dccproc -t many`.

  - I'm not sure what the other person is doing.  Since I don't see any
  need to involve SA in a simple spam trap, I assume that's not the
  case.  For a simple spam trap, I would use sendmail /etc/mail/aliases
  entries like:
       trap1:dccproc
       trapn:dccproc
       dccproc:"| /usr/local/bin/dccproc -ERw whiteclnt -t many -c all,0, -l /var/dcc/userdirs/daemon"
   or .forward or .procmailrc equivalents.
   And/or sendmail access_db equivalents.

  - the DCC database does not know how a report of checksums was generated.
   Whether SA was involved is unknowable to other DCC clients.

  - 1000 (+/- several 100) sites are using SpamAssassin with the DCC.  The
   SA installation instructions say that to use SA with the DCC, you must
   install the DCC.  http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/FAQ.html#spamass
   says something like that from the other direction.