logging just the DCC-Metrics information

Sven sven@dmv.com
Tue Nov 5 19:36:06 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
To: <DCC@rhyolite.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: logging just the DCC-Metrics information

> > From: "Sven" <sven@dmv.com>

> > What I am looking for is a way to log the DCC-metrics line from each
mail to
> > a file; this would be useful from a statistics/graphing point of view.
My
> > script could then just grep through this file for " bulk" versus the
total
> > lines, etc.
> >
> > With the volume of mail we process, trying to grep through the log
directory
> > messages becomes quite the chore (especially since freebsd has that
problem
> > with too many arguments being passed to the grep command).
>
> What about using something like:
>
>    find /var/dcc/log -mtime -1 -name 'msg.*' | xargs grep '^X-DCC'

That would work fine in lieu of the other suggestion you had below, and
could actually be tweaked to give me periodic stats that I need.

> Note also the kludgy syntax that can be used with `dccm -l` to
> keep only minutes, hours, or days of files per log directory.

I will have to look at that line a bit more closely.

> > Is there anything already built in to the logging facility or conf files
> > that would allow for this? or is this something that could be added?
>
> Logging only the X-DCC lines does not sound likely to be widely useful.
> Did I misunderstand?

More of an ease of logging stats for our cacti tool that we use to monitor
all our servers (mail and otherwise) ...

> The midnight dccm syslog message about the totals could be changed
> to say something like "would have rejected messages ..." with -Aignore
> if no one objects.  Would that serve?

I like that idea.

Sven