logging just the DCC-Metrics information

Tue Nov 5 19:18:14 UTC 2002

> From: "Sven" <sven@dmv.com>

> What I am looking for is a way to log the DCC-metrics line from each mail to
> a file; this would be useful from a statistics/graphing point of view. My
> script could then just grep through this file for " bulk" versus the total
> lines, etc.
>
> With the volume of mail we process, trying to grep through the log directory
> messages becomes quite the chore (especially since freebsd has that problem
> with too many arguments being passed to the grep command).

What about using something like:

   find /var/dcc/log -mtime -1 -name 'msg.*' | xargs grep '^X-DCC'

Note also the kludgy syntax that can be used with `dccm -l` to
keep only minutes, hours, or days of files per log directory.

> Is there anything already built in to the logging facility or conf files
> that would allow for this? or is this something that could be added?

Logging only the X-DCC lines does not sound likely to be widely useful.
Did I misunderstand?

The midnight dccm syslog message about the totals could be changed
to say something like "would have rejected messages ..." with -Aignore
if no one objects.  Would that serve?