map

Wed Oct 23 18:02:25 UTC 2002

> > From: 	bnixon[SMTP:bnixon@nixtech.net]

> > I hate to post such a newbie question but I am at a loss as to the
> > proper syntax and file rights used to "load" my map.txt file into my map
> > file. I have everything else working and have tried for three days to do
> > this. You guys are great but some examples would be good.

> From: "Rice, MA Mark (6750)" <RiceMA@isl-3com.com>

> Are you saying that you have created your own map file?
>
> If you've just installed dcc, you load a new map by:
>
> # cdcc 'new map'
> # cdcc 'add dcc.rhyolite.com'
> # cdcc 'info'
>
> The last command will give some output. One line of it should contain
> something like "dcc.rhyolite.com,-     anon".

That will work, except that it would be better to use "dcc.dcc-servers.net"
dcc.rhyolite.com is now only a CNAME or alias for dcc.dcc-servers.net.

However, a "map.txt" file such as the contents of /var/dcc/map.txt
that is installed by `make install` with the DCC source can be loaded
by:

   # cdcc "new map; load map.txt"
   # cdcc info

The "new map" command is not needed if the /var/dcc/map file already exists.
If the /var/dcc/map file already exists, it might be wise to use
`cdcc "delete x.what.ever"` to prune unneeded or wrong entries.

The map.txt file must not be readable by "group" and "other" because
it contains passwords corresponding to the client-IDs used with the
listed servers.
If the map.txt file is not private,
something like `cdcc "load -" < pub.map.txt` should work.

If your DCC home directory was set to /some/thing/else with
`./configure --prefix=/some/thing/else ...`, "/var/dcc/" must be
replaced with "/some/thing/else"

If you are not using the DCC home directory built into the installed
DCC programs, you need to use `cdcc -h /some/thin/else "new map; load ..."