Central whitelist questions

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Oct 14 14:16:53 UTC 2002

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 08:40:09PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>
> > Subject: Central whitelist questions
>
> > I'm setting up a procedure so that users can nominate bulk mail for
> > inclusion in a central whitelist.  They will provide the name of a
> > DCC log file.  A script will then extract the appropriate information
> > from the collected log files to build a file in whitelist format.
>
> What is the appropriate information and how do you determine it
> automatically?

I was thinking of the envelope and header `from' values.

> Adding white list entries for all checksums of a sample
> message might too quickly exhaust the 80,000 limit on the size of the
> client white list hash tables.

Should I be adding them to the server whitelist, then?

> As people have pointed out in the DCC
> mailing list, there are sources of solicited bulk mail that do not
> use constant envelope Mail_From values but must be white-listed by
> other characteristics.

Yes, the exceptions would need different handling.

> > 1) Should the new whitelist file be included in `whitelist' or in
> >    `whiteclnt'?  The `whiteclnt' file is only used by dccm.

I meant, should the central whitelist entries go in the server
whitelist or the client whitelist?  There's only one client.

> ] From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>
> ] Subject: dccm refusing connections

> ] I also notice that `dccm' is using an aweful lot of file descriptors,
> ] and sometimes runs out of them.  It currently has a limit of 472 file
> ] descriptors, and is using 469 of them.  Is this normal?  The bulk of
>
> If all of the file descriptors look like that, then my second guess
> is that your DCC servers are not answering, and that dccm is stuck
> waiting for answers.  If that is the case, then it might help to ensure
> that the cron jobs for your dcc servers are not both running at the
> same time.  If that is already fixed, then it might be good to use
>    cdcc "add dcc.dcc-servers.net RTT+1000"
> to add some backup DCC servers.
> I am assuming that `cdcc info` says that both of your dcc servers
> are already known to your dccm process(es).

Actually, each dccm filter is talking only to the local dcc server,
but the two servers peer with eachother.  I could change that.

Checking just now, on one mail server, both `dccd' and `dccm' are
working correctly.  `dccm' is using 460 of 472 file descriptors.  It
has 88 threads.

> My first guess is that fairly old version of dccm is in use.  Problems
> with dccm running out of file descriptors on Solaris were reported
> and fixed several months ago.  Dccm puts its version number into the
> log when it starts.

It's dcc-dccd-1.1.13.  I don't see anything in CHANGES on that problem.