Strange message from cron-dccd

Mon Oct 7 14:47:36 UTC 2002

> From: Sean Rima <sean@tcob1.net>

> P166 with 40mb ram, a 1.5gb HD as / and a 2gb hd as /home and /var

> ATM, I am getting a lot of disk writes, well activity. All that I can
> see if that dccd is swapping a lot for some reason, maybe the 40mb is
> not enough for it and the databases.

The FAQ in the source or at
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/FAQ.html#system-load
says

]    ... The DCC clients and server do not need many CPU cycles, but the
] daily executions of dbclean seem to require a computer with at
] least 128 MBytes of memory.

A system with only 40 MByte of RAM probably has less than 20 MByte
available for all applications.  All of the hash table for the DCC server's
database and a few MByte of the main database need to be resident in RAM
while the server is running.  Your hash table is probably about 12 MByte.
While dbclean is running, the system can be expected to be thrashing.