Getting an e-mail address ONTO spam lists

Mon Sep 30 23:00:20 UTC 2002

> From: Adam Ierymenko <api@xactcommerce.com>

> I thought of this... I may create a script to make an e-mail
> address into a 'zombie' (a fake person... load image links,
> etc...) and if I do I'll post it here.

It can also be somewhat useful to scatter trap addresses around your
web pages.  For example, this line
   <LINK REV=MADE HREF="mailto:awhines@rhyolite.com">
appears in the HTML <HEAD> section of one of my most popular pages.
This line
    <!-- mailto:awhines@rhyolite.com -->
also appears near the end of the <BODY>.

awhines@rhyolite.com receives plenty of spam.

> On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 06:22 PM, Roy Hooper wrote:

> > Usenet is a good start, but you also need to confirm you exist to the
> > spammers that spam you.  One good tactic is to load the embedded image
> > URLs
> > in the emails you receive and/or click on the unsubscribe links. ...

I have megabytes of spam in my 40-day rolling log of mail sent to spam
traps showing that is often not necessary for the worst spammers.