Hotmail problem?

Brandon Long blong@fiction.net
Mon Sep 30 22:52:33 UTC 2002

On 09/30/02 Vernon Schryver uttered the following other thing:
> > From: Brandon Long <blong@fiction.net>
>
> > Not sure how easy this would be to implement in your system, but we try
> > to exempt message bodies under a certain length because they are less
> > likely to be "unique" enough (especially with fuz2). ...
>
> How do you figure that?
>
> In other words, I'd appreciate evidence that minimum message size on
> which the DCC client library computes the Fuz2 checksum is too large.

Our case is probably way too specific, and we should probably be trying
to whitelist the messages involved.  They generally come from web
support forms, and they consist of a bunch of automatically added text
which is technically user specific and the user's question, which is
often one sentence or less.  The user specific data is either numbers or
browser User-Agent, and hence are either common or ignored by fuz2.
Especially when these questions are in asian charsets, fuz2 seems to
count them all the same.

Like I said, our answer will be to detect these message and not run
dccproc on these messages.

The messages are less than 250 characters in length... but probably half
of that (or more) is common between different messages.

For example, a message may look like:
----------------------------------
Type: Handle/Password
Handle: <handle>
Email: <emailaddr>
LEVEL: 100
Pwd: 44412
PWSID: 4261137_13633
Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 98; DigExt)
Date: 09/30/2002

COMMENT: <a sentence or two about their problem>

Brandon
--
 "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
                                           http://www.fiction.net/blong/