Hotmail problem?

Mon Sep 30 22:36:49 UTC 2002

> From: "Paul Judge" <pjudge@ciphertrust.com>

> that is exactly what is happening.
>
> i've confirmed over here that an empty (or short message) sent from hotmail
> has high counts. The exact count depends on the random ad that hotmail
> appends to the message. An empty message that I just sent received body:142,
> fuz1:615, fuz2:1075.
>
> any thoughts on workarounds?

How do you figure that a work-around is desirable?  The stuff is
clearly bulk and unlikely to be solicited by anyone.

However, if receiving it is desirable, white-listing Hotmail would work.
I would not white-list the HELO value because that is commonly used
by (other?) spammers.  Hotmail probably has fewer than 100 SMTP clients,
and so you could white-list them.

You could probably also use something like "CONNECT:hotmail.com OK"
in a sendmail access-DB along with a sendmail.cf modified by
`misc/hackmc -O` in the DCC source.  This might need to wait until
the 1.1.15 version of the DCC source is released.  The next version
of hackmc will apply the access-DB to more cases.