Getting an e-mail address ONTO spam lists

Roy Hooper rhooper@cyberus.ca
Mon Sep 30 22:22:07 UTC 2002

> The ability to report spam with dcc using -t many lends itself
> quite well to the concept of setting up spam bait addresses.  I
> have set up several of these and posted e-mails on usenet to them,
> which is causing them to get some spam.  I am just wondering if
> anyone knows what might be the best tactics to get an e-mail
> address signed up for *LOTS* of spam.  Any ideas?  (Basically,
> this is the inverse of what you normally want to do for an
> address... :)

Usenet is a good start, but you also need to confirm you exist to the
spammers that spam you.  One good tactic is to load the embedded image URLs
in the emails you receive and/or click on the unsubscribe links.  This
should quickly increase the amount of spam.  You'll also want to sign up
with all sorts of service online.   I reccomend one account per "account"
(site, newsgroup), so you can track what methods are most effective.

Roy