Hotmail problem?

Rose, Bobby brose@med.wayne.edu
Mon Sep 30 22:13:36 UTC 2002

I'm still waiting on a response from the user since I don't have a
hotmail account to test with.  I had an idea that this would happen for
blank messages, but they didn't give me the impression that it was a
case of an empty message.  What happens if it's a blank message but with
an attachment?

-----Original Message-----
From: Brandon Long [mailto:blong@fiction.net]
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 5:58 PM
To: Paul Judge
Cc: Seth Breidbart; dcc@rhyolite.com
Subject: Re: Hotmail problem?

Not sure how easy this would be to implement in your system, but we try
to exempt message bodies under a certain length because they are less
likely to be "unique" enough (especially with fuz2).  We're still trying
to fine-tune this ourself, but this may be much harder when dealing with
HTML mail (since the minimum size for HTML messages may be larger than
the minimum for text, and multipart/mixed might be higher still)

We completely control how/when dccproc is run and on what, which
obviously isn't normal except maybe under SpamAssasin.

Brandon

On 09/30/02 Paul Judge uttered the following other thing:
> that is exactly what is happening.
>
> i've confirmed over here that an empty (or short message) sent from
> hotmail has high counts. The exact count depends on the random ad that

> hotmail appends to the message. An empty message that I just sent
> received body:142, fuz1:615, fuz2:1075.
>
> any thoughts on workarounds?

 "If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized
  religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
      -- Kerry Thornley, "Principia"
                                           http://www.fiction.net/blong/