DCC clients changing Subject header survey

Thu Sep 26 15:47:37 UTC 2002

> From: Craig Hughes <craig@deersoft.com>

> SpamAssassin just prefixes the subject (with *****SPAM*****, or a
> user-configurable string), and that seems to work for just about
> everyone.  Pretty much all MUAs which provide any rules functionality
> at all will allow you to search for a particular word or string within
> the subject line, or at the very least beginning the subject line.

So are you recommending that I add an option to add a prefix to
the Subject line?  I guess such an option might as well take a
string instead of be a boolean.  The biggest problem is finding an
unused option character for common to dccm and dccproc.

By the way, it would be cool if

  - SpamAssassin could invoke `dccproc` with "-t many" if the score of
   everything else is higher than some (existing?) threshold.  That
   could significantly improve the effectiveness of SpamAssassin+DCC
   particularly when using a private DCC server.  It would let users
   share determinations of spamishness.

  - the SpamAssassin instructions could recommend looking for an
   "X-DCC-.*-Metrics:.*bulk" header instead of running dccproc in
    configurations where the header is present.  This matters because
    while running dccproc is not too slow, every bit helps.

How fast is SpamAssassin?  I was told yesterday that checking a message
with SpamAssassin needs 1 or a small number of seconds.  Is that true?
It is consistent with something I've observed on a couple of the public
DCC servers named by dcc.dcc-servers.net.  There are 86400 seconds in
a day, and none of the clients using the DCC servers with SpamAssassin
are handling more than 40,000 or 50,000 mail messages/day.  (Some
outfits with the DCC wired to their MTAs and their own DCC servers
are doing a lot more than 100K messags/day/MTA.)

If that is speed is accurate, it might be best, when possible, for
organziations to use the DCC in the MTA with fairly high bulk
thresholds and then SpamAssassin for whacking the remaining spam.