DCC clients changing Subject header survey

Thu Sep 26 05:59:13 UTC 2002

> From: Adam Ierymenko <api@xactcommerce.com>

> I just wrappered dccproc to run the following regex:
>
> sed s/X-Dcc-.*-Metrics:/X-Spam-Checking:/
>
> (Not sure if that's exactly correct, but you get the idea.)
>
> The constant header X-Spam-Checking can then be checked against.
>
> I think dccproc needs an option to add some constant header
> instead of just the variable header it adds right now.  I do
> not know of *any* mail program off the top of my head that
> allows filtering of headers that contain wildcards, regexes,
> or any other kind of pattern matching.

If you constrain the DCC servers you use to a single DCC server, then
could you check against "X-DCC-yourbrand-Metric: your.host ID: bulk"?

If you can afford to run `sed`, then you could surely adjust your
.procmailrc or SpamAssassin rules to use a regex and adjust headers.
The problem that may need attention is when procmail or SpamAssassin
are not involved, such as for larger mail systems that cannot afford
to run them or even run dccproc.

Are you suggesting that instead of a new dccm and dccproc option to
modify the Subject header, there be an option to generate constant
X-DCC header?  That would be easy.  However,  would that help the MUA
(mail clients) that cannot filter on anything except From:, To:, and
Subject: headers?  Are such limited mail programs sufficiently common?