whiteclnt not having any effect

Tue Sep 24 02:46:09 UTC 2002

> From: Wyman Eric Miles <wymanm@is.rice.edu>

> We're running DCC 1.1.2 ...

> ok      env_from        admcouns@rice.edu

> dccproc -w whiteclnt -c cmn,25,50 -l /var/spool/spam -o <tempfile>
>
> It's been stunningly accurate against spam thus far, but we've got some
> addresses to whitelist.

First, what happens if you use `dccproc -f whatever` to tell dccproc
the envelope sender value?  Because dccproc is fed only the message, it
does not have access to the SMTP evelope unless you make special
arrangements.  (It would probably be a good idea to use `dccproc -E`
to generate the fancier log files.)

The second thing to try is to install a more recent version of the DCC code.

A third tactic is to look in /var/spool/spam for a file containing
a message that should have been white-listed.  Check that the
env_From at the start of the file is
      env_From: <admcouns@rice.edu> mail_host=rice.edu
If the envelope From value is anything else, such as
admcouns@somehost.rice.edu, then the white-list entry above will not work.
You will have to find some other characteristic of the mailing list.
That could be a more accurate value for its envelop From value
or some other header.

A good debugging technique is to take a sample message including headers
and feed it to `dccproc -QC -w whiteclnt [-R] [-f whatever] ...`
That will dump the checksums that dccproc can compute.
If dccproc doesn't know the IP address or envelope From value, it can't
compute a checksum to white-list, blacklist, or send to a DCC server.