dccm and big log dir

Tue Sep 17 20:40:03 UTC 2002

> From: "Francois Baligant" <francois@be.wanadoo.com>

> 	Noticed that too. You have to remove on a regular basis (with a
> find command)
> 	the oldest file otherwise it gets slow.
>
> 	It starts to slow down earlier on Linux with ext2 filesystem
> than Compaq's Tru64
> 	with advfs tought (up to 80000 files in there without slow down)

Yes, many consumer-grade UNIX file systems don't like zillions of
files per directory.  On the other hand, I think SGI's XFS is
available with some free UNIX-like systems and it can handle
bazillions of files per directory.

Similar observations are why I added the screwy syntax for `dccm -l`
See `man dccm` in the DCC source or
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/dccm.html#OPTION-l
or
http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/dcc-tree/dccm.html#OPTION-l

The idea is that new log directories can be created automatically
every day, hour, or even every minute.

That mechanism does not apply to the per-user logs created with
`dccm -U` because I assumed that individual users would not get
enough spam to justify the complication.  Is that assumption wrong?