Why is this in DCC?

Robin Lynn Frank rlfrank@paradigm-omega.com
Wed Sep 11 23:12:50 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 15:47, Vernon Schryver wrote:
# > From: Dave Lugo <dlugo@etherboy.com>
# > To: Robin Lynn Frank <rlfrank-dated-1032209727.8e74ca@paradigm-omega.com>
# > cc: dcc@rhyolite.com
#
# > No, eff is not a spammer... but they do send bulk email.
# >
# > This is what whitelists are for.
#
# Dave is exactly right.
#
# The DCC detects bulk mail.  Only the recipient can determine whether
# bulk mail is also unsolicited and so spam   The way the DCC client
# programs do that is with white lists.  Please read the explanation
# of the DCC at http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/ or
# http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/dcc.html
# or the mirror at http://www.dcc-servers.net/
#
# While using SpamAssassin to get DCC values, you are probably using
# dccproc.  Dccproc is happy to check your white list if you tell
# it so with -w, as described in
# http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/dccproc.html#OPTION-w
# or http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/dcc-tree/dccproc.html#OPTION-w
#
# I have no idea how to tell SpamAssassin to add "-w whitclnt" to the
# options that it otherwise gives dccproc.
#
# If you use `dccproc -E -l ...`, you could use the CGI scripts
# that come with the DCC source to point-and-click to add to your
# white list.  See http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/dcc-tree/cgi-bin/
# and http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/cgi-bin/
#

Thank you both for the information.  I will probably have to "fine tune"
things here.  While we whitelist our customers, business associates, friends,
etc, I am reluctant to white list newsletters because sooner or later,
spammers are going to start forging these newsletter's headers.

--
Robin Lynn Frank
Paradigm-Omega, LLC