whiteclnt does not work?

Wed Aug 28 03:06:15 UTC 2002

> From: Rafal Maszkowski <rzm@icm.edu.pl>

> start to (re)parse whitelist /var/dcc/whiteclnt
> finished parsing whitelist /var/dcc/whiteclnt
>- still no efect. I stop dccm, delete /var/dcc/whiteclnt.dccw, start dccm - the
> mail for/from addresses marked 'ok' gets through.

There is something that looks like a delay, but isn't and that regularly
confuses me, including again tonight.  Except when the whiteclnt.dccw
file is broken or missing, dccm only awakens an auxilary thread that
is in charge of rebuilding the whiteclnt.dccw file, and then continues
to process the mail message.  That usually means that the mail message
is completely processed and delivered before the whiteclnt.dccw is
rebuilt.

The result is that the whiteclnt.dccw seems to not change until the
message after the message that seems should be first affected.

Could this explain what you have seen?

This complication is required to avoid blocking all incoming mail while
host names in the whiteclnt file are resolved.  A bunch of host names
and slow DNS servers can easily cause rebuilding the whiteclnt.dccw
file to take 10 or even 30 minutes.