DCC - Postfix MTA mail hub implementation question

Fri Aug 23 21:25:54 UTC 2002

> From: Dave Lugo <dlugo@etherboy.com>

>   What to do if an item arrives with multiple RCPTs, and RCPT-A's
>   ruleset says "accept" and RCPT-B's ruleset says "reject".
>
> I'm dealing with issue on my admittedly small-scale setup at
> home.  The solution I've come up with (that I still have to
> implement), is for the 'edge' case described above, to accept
> after DATA, and then post-DATA deliver for RCPT-A, and generate
> a bounce to the originator for RCPT-B.
>
> Not terribly pretty, but honors the end-user's preferences if
> do declared.

What if the message as it arrives (perhaps at one MTA) is to RCPT-0
which is then replaced (as with sendmail aliases) with RCPT-A and
RCPT-B?  If you honor RCPT-B's preference with a bounce, then two
potentially bad things happen.  The bounce is unlikely to carry enough
information for the sender to correctly remove (or not remove) the
address from its list.  Second, the fact that RCPT-B is involved is
disclosed, which some people consider a privacy issue.  Of course,
both of these are familiar hazards in other cases.  You might also
argue that the alias case does not apply with a single MTA.  My point
is that my tactic in dccm is not perfect but not entirely wrong.  That
tactic in such cases is to conver RCPT-B's preference to "DISCARD."