dccd 1.1.9 time outs

Thu Aug 15 06:26:37 UTC 2002

> From: Sean Rima <sean@tcob1.net>

> If I do a cdcc stats, I get :
> stats: no answer from tcob1.net (192.168.0.1,6277) after 12029.81 ms
> although I know it is running, via ps ax. This will usually happen after
> I connect to the net, maybe with auto ppp up stuff happening the load
> average goes higher than what dccd likes.

It is quite unlikely that the load average as in length of the scheduler
run queue is made so long by mere PPP hassles that dccd would be
delayed for 12 seconds.  My guess is that routing is the problem.
Perhaps the system's IP address changes, and it takes a while for the
kernel routing table to catch up.  Perhaps the PPP network interface
is "UP" but not "RUNNING" or vice versa, and not passing packets, but
the kernel route points to it for talking to 192.168.0.1.

If my guess is right, then it is possible that changing the DCC server
name in the map file from 192.168.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 would make the
problem go away.  It is also possible that if I've guessed right that
`ping 192.168.0.1` would also fail during those 12 seconds.