1.1.6 crashes on OpenBSD 2.8, combining -t's, viruses?

Rafal Maszkowski rzm@icm.edu.pl
Wed Jul 17 21:00:45 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 09:59:24AM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Rafal Maszkowski <rzm@icm.edu.pl>
> > I looked into the running-stalled proces with gdb and it seems to be stopped
> > also in _thread_machdep_switch() .
> If there is a locking bug in dccm, that's what would happen.  It's
> also what could happen if the OpenBSD threads package has a bug.
> I know to which of those possibilities I'd rather attribute your problem.
> That hope is consistent with lack of reported problems on other platforms.

dccm survived over 20 hours, so it looks like advice from
http://www.io.com/~hentosh/acs-bsd.html helped. Probably the patched library
should be put in /usr/lib (or the system upgraded do 3.x), I will ask the main
administrator of this machine.

> > BTW I run dccm as:
> > /var/dcc/libexec/dccm -d -d -b -t CMN,25,50 -t Message-ID,25,50 -l "D?log" -r "4.7.1 451 Access denied by DCC"
> If you watch for Message-IDs, then you might also want to watch for
> Received lines.  However, while both seemed like a good idea, neither
> by itself catches much spam, with the exception of missing or null
> Message-IDs.  Except for missing Message-IDs, essentially all spam
> that they might catch is noticed by the various body checksums.

This way?
/var/dcc/libexec/dccm -d -d -b -t CMN,25,50 -t Message-ID,25,50 -t Received,25,50 -l 'D?log' -r '4.7.1 451 Access denied by DCC'
Why combination is much stronger than just Received? In what way these two
fiels (or all fields specified after -t?) are combined?

Encouraged by answers I dare to invent another question. Can DCC help in
catching virused mail? During last 12 days it happened only once that I catched
a virus with Message-ID=many. Other checksums were unique.

Typically the virused e-mail contains some random file with virus at the end.
Could we invent some other kind of checksum to detect this or it is better to
use other means against viruses?

R.
--
Avec mes souvenirs/J'ai allumé le feu
Mes chagrins, mes plaisirs/Je n'ai plus besoin d'eux!