DCC through a firewall

Tue Jul 16 21:33:12 UTC 2002

> From: "Luke Galea" <lgalea@bluecatnetworks.com>

> 	I am having difficulties getting my firewall to allow DCC.
> What ports must I open?? I found port 6277 but I must be missing
> something.. I tried allowing from 6277 to user ports.. and from user
> ports to 6277... both UDP and TCP.. and I tried from 6277 on my box
> externally.. I must have just gotten confused somewhere along the way..

As the FAQ tries to say in
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/FAQ.html#firewall-ports
DCC clients send to the server's UDP port 6277 from an anonymous port,
and of course, receive from the distant server's port 6277.

DCC inter-server flooding uses a pair of TCP connections, one originated
by each peer.  Each of the two TCP connections uses a anonymous client
port number or a port number specified in the /var/dcc/flod file.  The
server port number is also 6277.