dccm, sendmail, and fetchmail.

Fri Jun 14 16:51:54 UTC 2002

> From: darkmark <darkmark@filament.org>

> I'm having a problem where I can't get dccm to process my fetchmail
> delivered mail.  ie any mail delivered via fetchmail never sees milter for
> some reason.  I'm suspicious that my accessdb feature allowing localhost
> is somehow overriding the delivery to dccm, but I'm not entirely sure.
> Can anyone help me set this up so I can bounce hits back through the mail
> service that fetchmail is retrieving it from?

I know nothing about fetchmail except vague recollections of having
been told it exists and what can be guessed by a little web browsing
today.  My guess is that it uses ETRN to tell sendmail on the server
to emit messages from sendmail's queue.  If that is accurate, then
I don't see how to use any sort of milter mechanism on the final hop.
As I understand it, the milter mechanism is invoked by sendmail only
on incoming mail.  Outgoing mail bypasses it.

I so completely fail to understand the section title "SPAM FILTERING"
in http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-man.html
that I suspect my guess is all wrong.

Is sendmail somehow hidden in the client side of fetchmail?