add version to DCC log files

Sam Leffler sam@errno.com
Sat Jun 8 00:29:55 UTC 2002

> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 02:25:46PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> >
> > Which would be better, changing the DATE line to something like:
> >
> >     DATE: 06/07/02 12:00:38 MDT   dccm 1.1.3 file 1.2
> >
> > or adding an initial line something like:
> >
> >     VERSION: dccm 1.1.3 1.2
>
> I'd prefer a separate line, since the version has nothing to
> do with the date.

Besides which, the point of the version stamp is to let parsers adjust to
format changes, so anything that appears in front of it must have a syntax
that remains constant.  I don't especially care, but putting two pieces of
info on a single line means the parser has to do more work; i.e.

VERSION: dccm 1.1.3 file 1.2

is more work than

VERSION-DCCM: 1.1.3
VERSION-FILE: 1.2

or something similar.  I originally suggested that the version of DCCM is
sufficient to deal with parsing issues, so I'd be happy with just:

VERSION: 1.1.3

but I can deal with whatever--awk, sed, anything but perl :-)

    Sam