Null address in dccm log file

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Thu May 30 21:18:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:00:31AM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>
>
> > In the snippet from a dccm log file for one of our local mailing
> > lists, below, one of the envelope recipients shows up with a null
> > address.  Is this a result of a parsing error in the DCC code?
> >
> >   DATE: 05/28/02 20:23:16 CDT
> >   IP: localhost ::ffff:127.0.0.1
> >   HELO: electra.cc.umanitoba.ca
> >   env_From: <owner-UNIFACE-L@uug.org>  mail_host=
>
> No, that is not the result of an error, at least not in dccm.
> Dccm does not do any parsing.  It simply uses the values of the
> sendmail macros $&{mail_host}, $&i, $&{rcpt_mailer}, and $&{rcpt_addr}
>
> The sendmail "resolved" host or $&{mail_host} value for a local address
> is null.  Does your system think uug.org is one of its own names?

That line's okay.  I wasn't referring to it as the null address.
Yes, uug.org is one of our virtual domains.

> >   env_To: <Uniface@psesoft.com>  addr=Uniface@psesoft.com  dir=
>
> I don't know why there is no "dir=" value there.  Perhaps
> sendmail could not figure out a value for $&{rcpt_mailer}

That line's okay too.  It's because I haven't defined DCCM_USERDIRS
in dcc_conf.

> >   env_To: <VIVEK_KULKARNI/HQ/USA/KELLY@KELLYSERVICES.COM>  addr=  dir=
>
> If there had been an addr= value there, there would have been no dir=
> value because dccm refuses to play the per-user directory game for
> a string with slashes.

That's the one I was referring to.  I see the problem now.
I've revised my script to ignore null addresses.  I don't suppose
we will ever have addresss containing slashes here.

> Have you considered a sendmail.cf rule that would set ${dcc_notspam}
> if ${rcpt_mailer} or ${rcpt_addr} is null?  Perhaps something like
> this in your .mc file?:
>
> LOCAL_RULESETS
> SLocal_check_relay
> R$*		$: <$&{rcpt_mailer}> $1
> R<> $*		$: <$(macro {dcc_notspam} $@ "null rcpt_mailer" $)>$1
> R<$*> $*	$: <$&{rcpt_addr}>$2
> R<> $*		$: <$(macro {dcc_notspam} $@ "null rcpt_addr" $)>$1
>
> I've not tried that, but it might white-list your non-local mail.

I'll have to do some reading before I can comment on this suggestion.