bad server-ID

Thu May 30 20:19:13 UTC 2002

> From: <skahil@iclassfactory.com>

> If anyone else is getting errors from those IPs please let me know.

`cdcc "host dcc.rhyolite.com; stats all"` suggests that all of the
servers with dcc.rhyolite.com A records are getting lots of them.
The most recent in my log is from 12:41:16 PDT.

The current problem looks like a byte-order bug.  16777216 is 0x1000000.
As you can see from the source, the error message is generated by
ck_srvr_id() in dccd/rl.c.  That routine is is most commonly called
to check the ID in NOPs received by the server.

> As I mentioned before, I am doing a Windows port. Apparently I haven't got
> the packet format quite right yet.

As I've understood the word "port" when I've been paid to do it to
something, it involves lttle related to understanding and implementing
a protocol, not to mention misplacing an ntohl() in code that works
without changes on big- and little-endian systems.

The WIN32 port that I've had on my very long term to-do list since
the beginning involves approximately adding a modest amount of junk
to deal with Redmond's embrace-and-extend notions of sockets, a few
ifdefs, and a simplistic shell script to take the place of the autoconf
script and generate a fixed dcc_config.h file for the cross compiling.
Some of the worst of the work would probably be dealing with InstallShield
to make a tolerable package (as opposed to typical PC, trash-the-whole-
registry-and-c:/windows tactic).
Well, there's also the mess of dealing with WIN32 shared files instead
of POSIX for the client map.