Null address in dccm log file

Thu May 30 15:00:31 UTC 2002

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> In the snippet from a dccm log file for one of our local mailing
> lists, below, one of the envelope recipients shows up with a null
> address.  Is this a result of a parsing error in the DCC code?
>
>   DATE: 05/28/02 20:23:16 CDT
>   IP: localhost ::ffff:127.0.0.1
>   HELO: electra.cc.umanitoba.ca
>   env_From: <owner-UNIFACE-L@uug.org>  mail_host=

No, that is not the result of an error, at least not in dccm.
Dccm does not do any parsing.  It simply uses the values of the
sendmail macros $&{mail_host}, $&i, $&{rcpt_mailer}, and $&{rcpt_addr}

The sendmail "resolved" host or $&{mail_host} value for a local address
is null.  Does your system think uug.org is one of its own names?

>   env_To: <Uniface@psesoft.com>  addr=Uniface@psesoft.com  dir=

I don't know why there is no "dir=" value there.  Perhaps
sendmail could not figure out a value for $&{rcpt_mailer}

>   env_To: <VIVEK_KULKARNI/HQ/USA/KELLY@KELLYSERVICES.COM>  addr=  dir=

If there had been an addr= value there, there would have been no dir=
value because dccm refuses to play the per-user directory game for
a string with slashes.

Have you considered a sendmail.cf rule that would set ${dcc_notspam}
if ${rcpt_mailer} or ${rcpt_addr} is null?  Perhaps something like
this in your .mc file?:

LOCAL_RULESETS
SLocal_check_relay
R$*		$: <$&{rcpt_mailer}> $1
R<> $*		$: <$(macro {dcc_notspam} $@ "null rcpt_mailer" $)>$1
R<$*> $*	$: <$&{rcpt_addr}>$2
R<> $*		$: <$(macro {dcc_notspam} $@ "null rcpt_addr" $)>$1

I've not tried that, but it might white-list your non-local mail.