How to whitelist well-managed mailing lists

Tony L. Svanstrom tony@svanstrom.com
Tue May 28 23:50:50 UTC 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002 the voices made Gary Mills write:

> On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 04:03:52PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > > From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>
> >
> > > I'm not proposing to do this all myself.
> >
> > Someone will have to accept primary responsibility for getting it
> > started and working.  Things assigned to "The Community,"
> > "The Committee," or even "us" never get done.
>
> Yes, I agree.  Any volunteers?  Actually, at this stage a small group
> of people would be appropriate.  They could determine if the idea is
> feasible, and what has to happen next.  Where would be a good place
> to get additional input?

 (Unless I've missed something this is about a dcc-ish solution meant to
identify bulkish mail that isn't spam.)

 Personally I feel that there's only one solutions that could work, truly work,
when it comes to this; that's having a trusted few that keep a list of all
mailinglists that are not spam (or possibly a list of non-spamming domains with
mailinglists).
 I honestly believe that due to the amount of time and money such a system
would require it'll be impossible for it to work on a large scale; and the
controlfactor would, if it bacame a success, be way too large. It'd result in a
"pay the fee to be on our list or your list won't be recognized as not being
spam"-situation.

 Or... since I haven't read all that's been written lately on this ML maybe
I've completely misunderstood the whole thing?

	/Tony
--
# Per scientiam ad libertatem! // Through knowledge towards freedom! #
# Genom kunskap mot frihet! =*= (c) 1999-2002 tony@svanstrom.com =*= #