How to whitelist well-managed mailing lists

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Tue May 28 03:12:23 UTC 2002

The basic premise for using DCC to block spam is that DCC determines
the bulkiness of e-mail, but only the recipient can determine that the
mail is unsolicited.  Depending on the recipient to discriminate
between spam and legitimate mailing list mail is also a major obstacle
to deploying DCC on a large mail system such as mine.

It seems to me that when e-mail comes from a well-managed mailing list,
it can be assumed that the recipient has subscribed to it.  In this case,
there is no need to require the recipient to ask to have it whitelisted
in DCC.  It can be whitelisted in advance, because the mail is known
not to be spam.

What we need, then, is a central registry of well-managed mailing lists.
The mail would have to be identified in some way so that DCC could
exempt it from being treated as spam.  The `identification' would, of
course, have to be something that could not be forged by spammers.

It's not possible to identify all possible sources of spam, but it
may be possible to identify all possible sources of legitimate bulk
e-mail.  The magnitude would be much less.  Then, DCC would only need
to reject or mark everything not identified as legitimate.

What do you think of this suggestion?