Using DCC with forwarding?

Tue May 21 15:26:34 UTC 2002

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> > In other words, I think you can have per-recipient logs and whitelists
> > for distant users, although the directory names will be odd.
>
> Here's an example from my testing mail server:
>
>   DATE: 05/19/02 11:08:11 CDT
>   IP: localhost ::ffff:127.0.0.1
>   HELO: setup01.cc.umanitoba.ca
>   env_From: <mills@testing.UManitoba.CA>  mail_host=
>   env_To: <nobody@ms.umanitoba.ca>  addr=nobody@ms.umanitoba.ca  dir=userdirs/esmtp/nobody@ms.umanitoba.ca

> So, yes, it does work.  It won't normally be useful because distant users
> won't have access to the files, and you can't even tell which distant users
> are valid and which aren't.

Why can't the system tell which distant users are valid?  Why can't
there be a a /var/dcc/userdirs/esmtp/nobody@ms.umanitoba.ca directory
if nobody@ms.umanitoba.ca is valid?  (That's what I meant about
odd directory names.)

Why can't distant users have access to the files?  Two mechanisms seem
effective to me.  One is with symbolic links accross NFS.
You could change the script you now use that builds your virtual
alias table to also create symbolic links over NFS.  For example,
you could make /var/dcc/userdirs/esmtp/nobody@ms.umanitoba.ca be
a symbolic to /automount/ms.umanitoba.ca/var/dcc/userdirs/local/somebody

Another mechanism for remote access to the files might be the CGI
web scripts I'm working on.