Using DCC with forwarding?

Mon May 20 00:39:48 UTC 2002

From: mills@cc.UManitoba.CA

> We have two mail servers, one for staff members and one for students.
> The student mail server also has virtual aliases for our top-level
> domain, resolving them into addresses for one of the two mail servers,
> and then either delivering the mail locally, or forwarding it.  I'm
> running dccm on both servers.
>
> How do I arrange for bulk mail rejection and logging to happen at
> the destination server?  Right now, it happens where incoming mail
> first arrives.  The problem with this is that users will have logs
> at two places.  Is there a way for dccm to exempt mail that is being
> redirected to a specific destination with the assurance that it will
> be checked again when it gets there?

How about whitelisting the addresses that don't want the filtering
or logging?  It might be a hassle to whitelist them explicitly.
On the other hand, if you run `dccm -W` and explicitly list those
targets that should be filtered, the counts will be doubled because
the messages that are exempt from filtering by -W will still be counted.

I suspect it would be easier and cleaner to move all of the logs to one
system.  One obvious way is an rdist cron job.  Perhaps a better way
would be to have only one real set of log directories on one of the
two machines and to NFS mount them on the other machine.

How are you making the logs visible to users without letting all users
see all logs?  Are you using the new per-user logging and whitelisting
in 1.1.0?

I've been thinking about sample scripts and HTML to be used with Apache
show how one might let users control their individual 1.1.0-style white
lists and log files.  The big question I have is how to handle user
authentication.  The poor best idea I've come up with is a script that
users htpasswd.  How do you let users see the log files?

Am I wasting my time working on such spam scripts?  I suspect as much,
because I suspect anyone who might use them has already solved the
web-access-to-user-files problem.

vjs