False postive for CENTRALCOMMAND.COM newsletter

Sean Rima sean-sender-732ecf@tcob1.net
Sat May 18 01:16:08 UTC 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Vernon Schryver spake:

>> Just notioced that the latest Centralcommand.com newsletter is being
>> marked as many.
>>
>> the checksums are:
>>                      From: 550717fa b8335e44 5a13ae9a 5e254d78
>>                      Body: 388b254b c7b8deb4 611c460a a73eadc3 many
>>                      Fuz1: 9263b12e 3cefe27f a9fb4844 de19b541 many
>>                      Fuz2: 53b5a154 81c1df13 29bf9e45 f665b93d many
>
> If it is a "newsletter," then it certainly does not sound like a
> "false positive."

Okay I can understand this.

> `dblist -Vh` says that variations of that particular message have been
> seen at more than one DCC server, which makes clear that it is bulk.
> It seems to have it a trap or otherwise been noted as extremely bulky
> at server-ID 1012.  The data compression mechanisms in the servers
> and in the flooding make it impossible to say how many other places
> have seen that message or marked it as extremely bulky.
>
> The fact that you issued delete request for some of the checksums for
> that message suggests that I should make honoring delete requests off
> by default.  Unless you know for a fact that the message was not
> unsolicited bulk mail where it was marked as "many", you stepped over
> the line.

I stand corrected on this and yes you are correct, I will bear this in
mond in future. It was a case of being over zealous in trying to be
helpfull. Maybe a local option to remove checksums only from the local
database without removing it from the global databases.

> As the DCC documentation says and as I've told you, the DCC detects
> bulk mail.  You must add a white list to distinguish between solicited
> and unsolicited bulk mail.  Anyone who is rejecting all mail marked
> "many" has not read the documentation or is intentionally misusing or
> at least not using the DCC as intended if you rejecting all mail
> marked "many."

I had some misunderstanding at the beginning of how dcc checked things
out but I never reject mail, I simply has exim move to to a spam
directory in my mailbox and I check them out manually. If it is not spam
then I add it to the system whitelist and schedule it to be mailed to
the original user/domain later on.

See Ya, Sean

- --
  Sean Rima                                http://www.tcob1.net
  Linux User:      231986          Jabber:   tcobone@jabber.org
  THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE NOT NECESSARILY THOSE OF MY WIFE.