feature request -- put envelope information into log files

Sun Apr 28 16:08:27 UTC 2002

> From: "Earl A. Killian" <earl@killian.com>

> I would like to write an automated script to grovel over the
> /var/dcc/log directory and send the spam back to abuse@ISP.NET with a
> canned complaint.  To do that I need the sender's IP address to lookup
> at ARIN.  This information is not in the saved bulk message.  If you
> could add some header lines, like a Received: line with the sender's
> IP address (from the -a passed to you), I would appreciate it.

The dccm log files start with lines that include everything available.
For example:

    DATE: 04/28/02 08:18:11 MDT
    IP: 205-158-62-44.outblaze.com ::ffff:205.158.62.44
    HELO: mta1-3.us4.outblaze.com
    env_From: <Julia32093@deliveryman.com>  mail_host=deliveryman.com.
    env_To: <vjs@rhyolite.com>      local/vjs

(I'm hoping the extra stuff on the env_From and env_To lines in
the next version of dccm won't mess up anyone's dccm log file scanning.
Both come from sendmail.  The first can be used to white-list sender
hosts and the second will help specify a per-addressee whitelist.)

The dccproc log files lack those lines because it does not have access
to the SMTP envelope.  Dccproc could add lines for the date,
the envelope Mail_From value that you tell it with `dccproc -f` or it
figures out from the Return-Path header, and the IP address you tell it
with `-a` or `-R`, provided you can suggest an arguement letter
that would change log file format or if no one who is already parsing
the dccproc log files would object to having to change.