Feature request: simple spam header?

Sat Apr 27 05:50:44 UTC 2002

> From: "Brian J. Murrell" <dcc-list-in@interlinx.bc.ca>

> >    How this would work is:  if any of the metrics come back "many", mark
> >    the email bulk header YES.
>
> That could work.
>
> >    If they are not, use the discard
> >    thresholds (we're using -W right now so nothing is discarded).

How about a new "action" as in `dccm -a MARK` that would add the string
"bulk" to the end of the X-DCC header line instead of discarding or
rejecting the message and otherwise be the same as `-a IGNORE` (if -N is
not specified)?
That would avoid having to define a new X-DCC header.  Maybe I'm a coward,
but adding X-headers seems like something that shouldn't be done lightly.

That is only for the sake of discussion, because I see a problem that
makes me wonder whether the feature would be useful.  Could MUAs without
regular expressions nevertheless recognize a simple X-DCC bulky header?
If so, how would they do the necessary whitelisting?  If they can't
do any whitelisting because they can't apply regular expressions to
 From headers and so forth, would it be better use the DCC whitelists
in the MTA and do the current rejecting or discarding?