white lists

Sat Apr 20 23:42:44 UTC 2002

> From: "Earl Killian" <dcc@lists.killian.com>

>  > Which it will if my understanding of winbind's functionality is
>  > correct.  Think of winbind as NIS where the NIS server is PDC, not a
>  > NIS server.  :-)
>
> This is all true, but you might not be able to access the home
> directory returned by getpwnam() without special work, unless you
> happen to be running Linux or FreeBSD where you can use can mount smb
> shares.  I.e. you need the NFS equivalent in addition to the NIS
> equivalent.  (I am presuming you would want to store the per-user
> whitelist in her home directory.)

Only if you wanted to let users have their whitelists, .procmailrc, DCC
or procmail log files or directories, or other mail files or directories
in their real home directories deep inside the company network would
you need to involve NFS or actually mount SMB shares.  I think that
sounds neither necessary nor desirable.  Instead, Tim Wicinski's notion
of using IMAP or an HTTP CGI hack sounds safer and saner.