Rejecting some recipients after DATA?

Earl A. Killian earl@killian.com
Sat Apr 20 22:36:47 UTC 2002

Vernon Schryver writes:
 > Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 11:08:06 -0600 (MDT)
 > From: Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
 >
 > I've been thinking about this problem should I ever figure out how
 > dccm could have private whitelists.  I thought of that solution, but
 > rejected it because I fear you can't expect typical users of typical
 > consumer ISPs to deal with procmail or regular expressions and so
 > often they can't use X-DCC headers.  If that is true, then a spammer
 > who signs up with a large ISP could ensure its drivel is delivered
 > by sending it in batches that always include its address.

There's another in-between approach:

(1) Deliver the bulk to those who want it
(2) Don't deliver the bulk to those who don't, but use the -l feature
    to keep a copy in the log directory
(3) Every morning at 4am send a report to the #2 recipients telling
    them what bulk was not delivered in the last 24 hours.  If they
    want it, they can get it from the log directory via some mechanism
    (e.g. there could be a URL to click on in the report).

You might object that #3 is too annoying for the users, but I do
something like this for myself: every day I get a summary of what mail
my gateway rejected so that I can whitelist any rejection errors.
Since I see exactly 1 message once a day, it is not burdensome (and it
puts a smile on my face to see so much spam rejected).  Someone that
really wanted to be fancy could make the reporting interval be
per-user (something similar to a cron specification).

-Earl