white lists

Mark Motley mark@motleynet.com
Sat Apr 20 21:44:47 UTC 2002

> That would be useful, but then other people would point out the
hassles
> of dealing with "From: 12345667890asdfghkjkl@whatever.example.com"
> and urge being able to ignore the username.  Then others would point
> out that vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com is the same as vjs@rhyolite.com so
> why not be a little smarter.  Then still others would mention that
> example.com and example.net are often the same.  An so on until you
> either have full extended regular expressions or you have drawn the
> line short of them.

Just to clarify further...

As an Exchange shop, it's unfortunate that users do NOT have access to
envelope information.  About the best you can get is headers (via Tools
-> Options).

In our environment, even whitelisting based on IP sender is difficult as
users don't have the knowledge on how to ready RFC headers to determine
exactly where a given mail is coming from.  This is made even worse as
our company has several "layers" of SMTP services that do different
things, like virus scanning.

So when you really boil it down, from a user's perspective, about the
easiest thing to key off of is the From address.  I know I'm walking
down the path you described above, but I think if you added some good
flexibility on that one whitelist item alone, it would avoid too much
complexity yet solve lots of problems for enterprises that are using
non-UNIX mail systems (Exchange, Notes, GroupWise, etc).

I'd be interested in other folks experience on how they have integrated
DCC with Exchange (or another non-UNIX mail system).  I'm doing it on my
vanity domain, but that's a lot different from an enterprise...

- MBM