white lists

Sat Apr 20 16:49:00 UTC 2002

> From: "Earl Killian" <dcc@lists.killian.com>

>  > At least the sendmail
>  > access_db scheme consists of parsing the header into parts and then
>  > doing a handful hash table (Berkeley DB) lookups on each part.
>
> Not being a user of access_db, I can't comment on it very
> intelligently, but it doesn't appear to support wildcards (true?),
> which is an issue.

The answer is yes or now depending on how you look at it.  There are no
wildcards as such in the sendmail access_db, but this line rejects all
mail with a reverse DNS name or envelope Mail_from domain in any KR domain:

    kr                      DCC: "DISCARD Korean spam"

This line rejects all mail from any SMTP client in 211.20.0.0/16:

    Connect:211.20          DCC: "DISCARD Chinese 211.20 spam"

Sendmail tokenizes header lines.  The standard .cf rules look up strings
those tokens in the database.  A string like "<dcc@lists.killian.com>" is
parsed into the 9 tokens < dcc @ lists . killian . com >

Never mind the regular expressions that recent sendmail can apply to
header lines, if only because I can't figure out how to communicate
their results to a Milter filter.