Does this mean I could not get through to a server

Sat Apr 20 14:56:04 UTC 2002

> From: Sean Rima <sean-sender-732ecf@tcob1.net>

> I just tried to do a DCCproc -t many on a spam and bot the following
> header:
>
> Just checking that this means I could not connect to any server.

That X-DCC header says the DCC client calling itselfi tcob1.net contacted
the DCC server with server-ID 101 and brand name "".  That server-ID is
assigned to the DCC server running on calcite.rhyoilte.com or 192.188.61.3.

Originally I thought there would be only a few DCC servers and that the
"brand name" would matter for technical and commercial reasons.  So the
DCC server software required it to be non-null.  Things didn't work out
that way.  Not only are there already far more disparate DCC servers than
I expected, but some of the organizations running them are shy.  Several
versions ago I changed dccd to let the brand name be null, and to ensure
that it works, switched my DCC server to use a null brand name.

> On a slightly seperate topic, this lovely country (Ireland) has finally
> announce that Broadband access will be available later this year. I have
> mine ordered although I have been told it could be a year or more before
> it gets to where I live. Anyway my Q, I think once I get a dsl
> connection I will run my own dcc server, would be there any point in
> setting it up now to make sure that thinks so smoothly, or should I
> wait.

Would an initial burst of 40 MBytes of checksums and then daily
continuous feeds of 4-8 MBytes be a problem for your modem or ISDN
link?  I can testify that it is not a problem for 2B ISDN provided
you can nail up the circuits, except when those 40 MByte bursts need
to be sent to a dozen or two flooding peers at once.