dccproc-1.0.53 inserting "p=/home/username/.dcc/whiteclnt.dccw ..."

Wed Apr 17 03:09:19 UTC 2002

> From: Chris Shenton <chris@Shenton.Org>

> folks can just do a "cd /usr/ports/mail/dcc-dccproc && make install clean"
> and all this would be done for them -- accounts, config edits, the
> couple commands an anon client needs to setup, like "cdcc new map" and
> "cdcc add <servername>". They still gotta integrate with their MTA
> and/or MUA but that's too variable to script an install.

What would you use for "<servername>"?  There can be no default
value that makes sense for the foreseeable future.

It would be nice to not worry about creating a "dcc" username account,
but is that safe?  What if there is already such an account for
one of the many other things called "dcc"?
It would be nice to edit the rc scripts to turn on dccm and dccd,
except that one would be wrong in most cases and the other wrong
in many cases.

Then there are the MUA and/or MTA hassles.  I've heard rumors
that some version of FreeBSD will have sendmail 8.12.3 with milter
built.  If that happens, I'll teach the configure script to pick better
default locations of the milter .a and .h files on some FreeBSD versions.
However, climbing the political hill of getting the DCC FEATURE() files
included somewhere useful would take a lot more energy than I have.
That would do nothing for qmail, smtpd, and the other alternate MTA users.

And then there are whitelists.

> > Did you copy to whiteclnt or whitelcnt.dccw ?
>
> Just the "whiteclnt", then dccproc created "whiteclnt.dccw", which it
> complained about the size of.

Is there any chance you have more than one version of dccproc involved?
Is your whiteclnt file strange?  I tried one obvious strange case
of an empty file, and found no such problems.