Can DCC catch Korean spam? Doesn't seem to, lots getting through

Tue Apr 16 22:28:27 UTC 2002

> From: Chris Shenton <chris@Shenton.Org>

> > If I've read the headers and timezones correctly, your copy reached
> > your system at 10:08 MDT, which would have been too early.
>
> OK, makes sense -- the first recipients are victims, but they save
> everyone else a lot of trouble.

The more spam traps in the start of the alphabet, the less likely
the first recipients will be people.

> > The 1.0.53 source is at
> > http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/source/dcc-dccd.tar.Z
> > I've been using minor variations of the script at
> > http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/newdcc
> > to fetch, compile, and install new DCC versions at MAPS and Usenix.
>
> Maybe I should learn how to build a FreeBSD port and get this in there
> so others would benefit and more easily upgrade.  Would you object to
> me doing this?

I certainly wouldn't object.  For one thing, the source is free and
so anyone can do most anything they want with it.  However, I doubt
I'd spend the effort to maintain a FreeBSD "ports" package unless it
provided a clear advantage.  You would still have to compile the source
with your local value for the DCC home directory, DCC UID, and so
forth, right?  What would be the advantage of a FreeBSD ports package
over an ad hoc script that does an equivalent to
`wget; ./configure; make install; /var/dcc/libexec/rcDCC start`?

Unless I misunderstand how FreeBSD ports work, they are more for
software officially integrated into FreeBSD and distributed from
freebsd.org.  As long as I'm cranking out new versions of the DCC more
frequently than the FreeBSD 6-month (?) cycle, that doesn't seem like
a good fit.   I don't expect 1.0.54 to come out before the end of next
week, and maybe not for even another week, but principle holds.

In the long run, it would be swell to get the DCC into the FreeBSD
ports collection, but it doesn't seem stable enough to burn into
10 million CDROMs.

Never mind issues about the Linux packages (plural) that a FreeBSD
ports package would open.