White List Question

Tue Apr 16 21:57:26 UTC 2002

> From: Michael Ghens <michael@spconnect.com>

> > about "many message-id <>"
>
> Is there an order to this? Does the last match become the active match or
> the last?

Conflicting entries in a whitelist are supposed to cause error messages,
but I suspect that's the wrong right answer.

"Matching" doesn't fit the DCC picture, at least not as it is usually
understood as being related to regular expressions.

This is how the DCC works:
   1. DCC client computes checksums of the message
   2. check client whitelist for those checksums
       2a. if the value of one of the checksums is "ok", then quit
	   and accept the message.
           (or two ok2's and so on and so forth as in the dccm man page)
       2b. if the value of one of the checksums is "many", then change
	  the target count to "many" from the number of target addreses
	  in the message.
    3. send checksums and target count to DCC server
    4. server adds the client's target count to the totals for all of
        the checksums in its database and sends the totals to the client.
    5. client compares the DCC server's total target counts for each
	checksum local thresholds.  If one is "ok" and honoring server
	whitelist, then quit and accept the message.  If one is greater
	than the threshold, reject or discard the message.

If you want to add regular expressions or common "matching" to that
process, you need to use a sendmail access_db, procmail, or other
regular expression mechanisms.

> Ebay and half.com do not send message ID's My users (including myself) are
> active on those services.

If you want to receive that mail, then you don't want to use
"many message-id <>" or you want to whitelist those senders.