doing dccproc -t many

Tony L. Svanstrom tony@svanstrom.org
Sun Apr 7 23:57:27 UTC 2002

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 the voices made Vernon Schryver write:

> > From: "Tony L. Svanstrom" <tony@svanstrom.org>
>
> > > The reason for `dccproc -t many` is that there is no way to prevent `repeat
> > > 17000000 dccproc -t 1`.  You may as well make cheap the first easier than
> > > second, because the second costs your DCC server a lot more CPU cycles, disk
> > > space, and bandwidth.
> >
> >  Having the option, and saying that it's a good thing, does a hell of a lot
> > more than avoiding a potentially non-cheap way of doing the same thing.
>
> It's in the ancient tradition of documenting a characteristic as a feature.

 Ok, the rest of your e-mail pretty much explained why a many-option could be
considered a good thing... but I still think that that option should come with
a "never ever think about using this unless you're really sure that's what you
want to do and never ever without the admin of the server you're using saying
that it's ok"-warning instead of calling spamreporting with many a good thing.

 I guess we're never going to agree on this; oh well, that's life. :-)

	/Tony
--
# Per scientiam ad libertatem! // Through knowledge towards freedom! #
# Genom kunskap mot frihet! =*= (c) 1999-2002 tony@svanstrom.org =*= #