Body Checksum Calculation

Mark Motley mark@motleynet.com
Wed Apr 3 05:01:29 UTC 2002

> There are ISP's using dccm with enough incoming spam to regularly
> generate a couple of hundred log files in a minute, not to mention 3
> or 4 days.  Recent versions of dccproc and dccm have the strange,
> optional values "[HMH]?name' for -l in an attempt to keep log file
> directories from blowing up larger than Linux will tolerate.

Have you given any thought to pushing the log files into a SQL database,
perhaps something like MySQL or PostgreSQL?  Or, having some sort of
"hook" so folks could right their own log handling routines/scripts?

At least then you could more easily manage it if you had to incorporate
some way for users to check the rejects and resend, much like Dave
Lugo's system... and you wouldn't have the directory problem.

I'd love to incorporate DCC at our enterprise as we are getting more and
more complaints about spam every day.  Unfortunately, I can see no easy
way for end-users to filter email using Exchange server & Outlook... if
there was, I would just tag it with the X-DCC header and let the users
deal with it however they see fit.

So as it stands now, the only way DCC makes sense in this environment is
to:

a) Give the users the ability to turn DCC filtering on (default: off)
b) Give them some way of adding whitelist entries
c) Give them some way of checking their reject logs for valid email
and/or solicited bulk.

Anybody else have these issues or concerns?

- MBM