How to use spam traps with DCC?

Thu Mar 28 00:34:00 UTC 2002

> From: Gary Mills <mills@cc.UManitoba.CA>

> I have a number of `spam trap' e-mail addresses that feed mail into a
> perl script.  This script analyzes Received headers and sends an official
> complaint to the originator's ISP.  I'd like to retain this functionality,
> but also report the mail as bulk to DCC.  How do I do this?

How about adding an execution of `dccproc -t many` to the Perl script?

> I tried defining them as `many env_to' in the whiteclnt file, but dccm
> rejected the mail with the message `rejected by UofM DCC'.  This happened
> in spite of running DCC in log-only mode!

That sounds like a bug in either the DCC or in configuring log-only
mode.  How was that done, by not setting any rejection threshold or
by using `dccm -a IGNORE`?

> I changed it to `ok env_to', which allowed the mail to be delivered to
> the perl script, but I assume it's no longer reported to DCC.

Mail sent only to an address listed with "ok env_to" should  be
reported to the DCC.

> I'd like the mail to be delivered but also reported to DCC as bulk.
> Is this possible?

Should all mail be delivered?  If so, how about using dccproc
and `dccm -a IGNORE`?
To avoid reporting any message twice, you'd want to only
use dccproc on spam.

The 1.0.52 version of the dccproc man page contains an example
of a spam-trap sendmail alias.  Or see
http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/dccproc.html#EXAMPLES